Friday, June 17, 2011

How do you make your decisions? I bet it’s not small potatoes…

Have you ever stopped to think about how many different types of potatoes there are? It really is amazing. I was walking through the produce section and couldn’t believe the variety that I saw. I usually go and find what I consider to be a plain old baking potato and don’t give the others much thought.

This particular day, I went to the grocery store to buy a couple of baking potatoes and had a few spare moments (which is rare) and browsed around the produce counter. I saw, Yukon Gold, red, white, russet, and sweet. Once you pick a potato, there are so many things you can do to it – bake it, boil it, fry it, microwave it, mash it, stew it, scallop it, turn it into a casserole – and I’m sure there are a dozen others that I haven’t even thought about.

Potatoes

All of these potatoes and the many different things you can do to them got me thinking about the options that we have with many things in life – and the sometimes difficult and important choices we need to make. This would include our decision about financial services.

Don’t get me wrong, options are great – it allows the cook/customer to ultimately have a say in the finished product. But who has time to research and read up on every detail of every financial company out there? Some choices that we make might not be the best one, and you walk away saying, “I’ll never boil sweet potatoes again, yuck.” But when I go to buy a computer, I do usually take the time to do my research.     

If you do that for your computer purchase – then you definitely need to take the time to research what financial institution will meet your needs and have the services that are best suited for you. I did just that and found out that Truliant Federal Credit Union had the full range of services and personal service that I needed to make my decision. Plus their 24/7 online services allow me to manage my finances on my own schedule.

Now if they’d just help me with the potatoes!