Friday, June 17, 2011

BLOG 23 – Home to Harlem

I grew up in Harlem. It was an interesting neighborhood back then. Not particularly welcoming of outsiders, and by color, or clothes, you could tell an outsider a mile away. For those who lived there, there was a certain acceptance, that we where all in it against the man. Being the only white kid in a grade of 350 I was not exactly welcomed into my peers homes but I certainly wasn’t robbed every day or living in fear. However back then even I would have never ventured into Morningside Park and headed over to 135th street and Saint Nicholas. That was a mugging a best and suicidal at worst. Now I am the man albeit one looking to do good for the community and today I am walking freely though projects to get a CU meeting at Grace Church.

Carmen at ERDA CU has told me about the meeting. It is a lovely Saturday morning and 150 small CU brethren are crammed into a Church to hear the NCUA representative Nick Sanimarko explain the new regulations on reading balance sheets to them. The concepts are simple, the small CU folks friendly and our hosts are even serving lovely rugelach – who would have thought it?

Nick is serious and dedicated and I wonder about approaching him afterward with some general questions. After waiting on line I find him incredibly approachable. He has great advice to give on starting a CU and the chartering process in specific. In fact he is amazingly knowledgeable. So far have really struck gold with Jim, Nick and Tawana who all direct me where to go to ask questions.

Now comes the hard part –the actual chartering. Wish us luck!